Wednesday, February 18, 2026

why Rwanda has been removed from AGOA eligibility list?

 


Yesterday, we reengaged with key members of the Executive Office of the President of the United States and once again presented our case for Rwanda’s removal from the AGOA eligibility list. Rwanda’s continued support for M23 operations in eastern DRC raises serious concerns under Section 104 of AGOA.


Countries that benefit from preferential access to the U.S. market must meet clear standards on human rights, the rule of law, and regional stability. Those standards matter. Therefore, we will continue to engage with officials in the Administration and Congress with jurisdiction over the AGOA program to encourage the termination of Rwanda’s AGOA eligibility.


It should be noted that AGOA disproportionately benefits Rwanda’s political and economic elites, his close associates, and other connected insiders. It is time to end that gravy train. We will not forget the countless innocent Congolese murdered by M23.

Washington warns threat of fresh sanctions against Kigali




The agreement signed in Washington between Rwanda and the DRC is "just a starting point" and not "an end," Massad Boulos, Donald Trump's Africa adviser, said in an interview aired on February 16 on France 24, as fighting resumed on the terrain.

Questioned about a possible failure of the agreement after the rapid degradation of the security situation, the US diplomatic officer rejected this interpretation. "The Washington Agreement served as a launchpad for this process," he said, saying it was part of a broader mechanism to bring "total peace and stability in the region."

He stressed the "essential complementarity" between the Washington agreement, which deals with relations between Kigali and Kinshasa, and the Doha process, piloted by Qatar with support from the United States and the European Union, which deals with the M23-RDC case more specifically.

M. Boulos, however, admitted a "serious violation" of the agreement after the M23 takeover of Uvira, supported by Rwanda, according to Washington. "It was the M23 and Rwanda that took over the city of Uvira," he claimed, adding that Rwandan President Paul Kagame had "betrayed confidence" in the US administration.

According to him, following exchanges with Kigali, the fighters have withdrawn from Uvira, “but not entirely”, remaining “at some strong points around the city.”

Questioned about potential sanctions against President Kagame, the US official said Washington had "a number of tools" and that "measures" could be implemented. He recalled that the United States had already imposed targeted sanctions on certain individuals and entities involved in illegal trafficking related to the conflict, citing among other measures taken against James Kabarebe.

The statements come in as Rwandan President Paul Kagame, speaking at the opening of the ‘Umushyikirano’ national dialogue in Kigali, charged tensions with the DRC to the presence of Rwandan Hutus rebels from the FDLR on Congolese territory. He has rejected any involvement from Kigali related to minerals and any willingness for territorial appropriation.

Several reports from the United Nations and the United States, however, accuse Rwanda of supporting the M23. The UN Security Council has asked Kigali to drop all support to the armed group and withdraw troops from Congo. Kigali denies the allegations.

Washington says it will continue its exchanges with Rwanda and expects "concrete action on the battlefield" to judge effective implementation of commitments made.

Thérèse Kayikwamba calls MONUSCO to ‘play a key role in securing’ the Goma airport.




The reopening of the Goma airport has become a priority for the Congolese government, driven by humanitarian considerations. This airport terminal needs to reopen to make it easier to get aid to war victims.
This is what Foreign Affairs Minister Thérèse Kayikwamba said in an interview with German media Deutsche Welle (DW), on the sidelines of the 61st Munich Security Conference.
"The issue of Goma airport is very strategic and very important. "It is not just logistically important; it is crucial, as this airport is a lifeline for humanitarian access and an essential supply line for the shipment of aid on the ground," she stressed.
She also added: "That is why the Congolese government attaches great importance to the reopening of the airport. At the Paris Humanitarian Conference, the Congolese government made it clear: it is about to defuse tensions and depolitize humanitarian access. »
In addition, the minister expressed the desire that the security of this airport be entrusted to MONUSCO, "the only entity that has a sufficient level of neutrality in the context of strong mistrust between the parties."
"We expect MONUSCO to play a key role in securing the airport and to ensure that access is first and foremost for humanitarian purposes, so that humanitarian access can be restored to Goma and the rest of the North Kivu province," pursued Thérèse Kayikwamba.
As a reminder, Goma airport has been inoperable since the M23 rebels took control of the city in January 2025. During the clashes, most of the airport equipment was destroyed. Several personalities, including French President Emmanuel Macron, are currently putting pressure on rebels to allow the airport to reopen.

General Sikabwe's appearance in the case of General Yav and Consorts and said he "Philemon Yav was on a list of six Congolese officers to be neutralized by Rwanda"



The trial against Lieutenant-General Philemon Yav and the Auditor General of the FARDC, Lieutenant-General Likulia Bakumi Lucien-René, resumed on Tuesday, February 17, in front of the Military High Court, under the leadership of its first president, Lieutenant-General Joseph Mutombo Katalay.
As announced, the Military High Court has appeared as a whistleblower Lieutenant-General Sikabwe Asinda Fall, current Director General of Afridex (African Explosives), former Chief of Staff of the Land Force of the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) and former coordinator of operations in the province of the Congo. North Kivu.
This appearance followed that of Lieutenant General Constant Ndima. At a hearing on 27 January 2026, the latter claimed that during a 2022 trip to the United States as part of a meeting with African Chiefs of Staff, General Sikabwe Fall was allegedly approached by his Rwandan counterpart, General Mubarakh Muganga. This one would have shown him the will of his country to eliminate certain Congolese general officers who were considered "extremists".
Questioned by the judges, Lieutenant General Fall confirmed that Lieutenant General Philemon Yav was among the six officers Rwanda wanted to see neutralized. Reflecting on the context of the meeting, he explained that, during the work of the meeting of the Chief of Staff of the Land Forces, a brief session of bilateral talks had been opened by the DRC-Rwanda regarding the Rwandan invasion of Kibumba.
Upon permission from the hierarchy in Kinshasa, he specified, a direct dialogue had been engaged and lasted all day, resulting in the withdrawal of Rwandan troops. It was during these discussions that the Chief of Staff of the Land Forces of Rwanda openly asked him that the DRC withdraw from operations six officers considered "extremists", namely:
lieutenant general Constant Ndima;
Lieutenant General Philemon Yav Irung;
Major General Peter Cirimwami (deceased);
Major General Sylvain Ekenge;
Brigadier General Tshinkobo Mulamba Ghislain (deceased);
and Brigadier General John Chinyabuuma Kamukinde.
According to Lieutenant-General Sikabwe Asinda Fall, Rwanda has threatened to eliminate these officers if the DRC did not proceed with lifting them from the operational areas. He claimed to have immediately forwarded this information to the hierarchy in Kinshasa and to the then military governor, General Ndima.
Responding to a question from the Public Department about his interpretation of this message, General Fall believed that the request for the resignation of these officers was part of a strategy to destabilize the DRC. He recalled, historically, that under the time of Mzee Laurent-Désiré Kabila, Rwanda would have used a similar strategy before attacking Kinshasa.
Questioned by the defense, the whistleblower said General Philemon Yav has been the "black beast" of the Rwandan authorities for several years. For having defended Kinshasa and other strategic positions in various battles, he would be considered a "sworn enemy" of Rwanda.
Defense lawyers have sharply exploited the statement to question the coherence of the accusation, questioning how an officer presented as an enemy of Rwanda could today be classified as an ally of that country.
In reaction, Auditor General Likulia Bakumi claimed that adding General Philemon Yav's name on this list created confusion, stating that in reality, he was an ally of Rwanda.
As a reminder, General Philemon Yav is being prosecuted for betrayal and incitement of the military to commit acts contrary to the law. He is among others accused of receiving and concealing a phone call from Rwandan General James Kabarebe, in which he allegedly named Major General Peter Cirimwami as an obstacle to the implementation of the Rwandan plan to destabilize the DRC.
Lieutenant-General Sikabwe Asinda Fall, former Chief of Staff of the Land Force and currently the Director General of the African Explosive Society, appeared before the Military High Court in Kinshasa on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, in the case opposing the Auditor General, Ministry of Public Affairs, to the acting Lieutenant-General Yav Irung Philemon.
The latter, a former Commander of the Third Defense Zone, is being prosecuted for treason and inciting the military to commit acts contrary to duty or discipline.
Heard as a whistleblower, General Sikabwe confirmed the existence of two messages from Rwanda and presented to Generals Peter Cirimwami and Mwehu by the whistleblower General Yav. According to him, the link between Rwanda and General Yav goes back a long time:
"General Yav was the battalion commander when Kinshasa was attacked by Rwanda on 02 August 1998," he said.
Referring to the events that happened in North Kivu in 2022, he added that Rwanda had ordered six general officers, including Lieutenant-General Constant Ndima and Major-General Cirimwami, to withdraw from operations, otherwise they would be executed. These officers would have been described as "extremists."
The defendant's defense collective has asked the Public Ministry to produce evidence that establishes the link between General Yav and the enemy. According to the Auditor General, the defendant admitted to having received messages from the "country of a thousand hills" without informing his hierarchy. Had it not been for General Cirimwami, who passed away today, these messages would never have been revealed.
In his interrogation minutes, the defendant said that the phone containing these messages had the number 0814045590, brand iPhone 8848, but he refused to communicate the different access codes to the device. The prosecution has thus requested that the Military High Court submit the phones of the defendant Yav to an expert to decrypt messages sent by Colonel Senkoko Celestin, special secretary to the Rwandan General James Kabarebe.
Made in Kinshasa, February 17, 2026
Mote Madjambo Baudouin
Head of the Communication Cell of the Military High Court

Echega out,Emitu in!




The Inspector General of Police has appointed ACP Emitu Ezekeil as the new Commander of the Kampala Metropolitan Police (KMP).


ACP Emitu, who has been serving as Commandant of the Kabalye Police Training School, replaces CP Richard Echega in the latest leadership changes within the Uganda Police Force.

Sunday, February 15, 2026

Young Brother of Laurent Nkunda arrested?

 Lieutenant Colonel Willy Mihigo, known as Seco (Secoper), was arrested by the Military,he is the younger brother of Laurent Nkunda (formerly of the RCD-CNDP) and a close associate of Patrick Sasa Nzita Lusala. He had been on leave from the General Staff of the FARDC since his release from Ndolo military prison for joining the M23 after the capture of Goma. He is a former member of the intelligence staff (formerly DEMIAP) and also close to Lieutenant Colonel Justin Bahati, who has been detained since February 15, 2025.