The agreement signed in Washington between Rwanda and the DRC is "just a starting point" and not "an end," Massad Boulos, Donald Trump's Africa adviser, said in an interview aired on February 16 on France 24, as fighting resumed on the terrain.
Questioned about a possible failure of the agreement after the rapid degradation of the security situation, the US diplomatic officer rejected this interpretation. "The Washington Agreement served as a launchpad for this process," he said, saying it was part of a broader mechanism to bring "total peace and stability in the region."
He stressed the "essential complementarity" between the Washington agreement, which deals with relations between Kigali and Kinshasa, and the Doha process, piloted by Qatar with support from the United States and the European Union, which deals with the M23-RDC case more specifically.
M. Boulos, however, admitted a "serious violation" of the agreement after the M23 takeover of Uvira, supported by Rwanda, according to Washington. "It was the M23 and Rwanda that took over the city of Uvira," he claimed, adding that Rwandan President Paul Kagame had "betrayed confidence" in the US administration.
According to him, following exchanges with Kigali, the fighters have withdrawn from Uvira, “but not entirely”, remaining “at some strong points around the city.”
Questioned about potential sanctions against President Kagame, the US official said Washington had "a number of tools" and that "measures" could be implemented. He recalled that the United States had already imposed targeted sanctions on certain individuals and entities involved in illegal trafficking related to the conflict, citing among other measures taken against James Kabarebe.
The statements come in as Rwandan President Paul Kagame, speaking at the opening of the ‘Umushyikirano’ national dialogue in Kigali, charged tensions with the DRC to the presence of Rwandan Hutus rebels from the FDLR on Congolese territory. He has rejected any involvement from Kigali related to minerals and any willingness for territorial appropriation.
Several reports from the United Nations and the United States, however, accuse Rwanda of supporting the M23. The UN Security Council has asked Kigali to drop all support to the armed group and withdraw troops from Congo. Kigali denies the allegations.
Washington says it will continue its exchanges with Rwanda and expects "concrete action on the battlefield" to judge effective implementation of commitments made.

No comments:
Post a Comment