Wednesday, May 20, 2026

UGANDANS CONVICTED AMONG THE GANG OF UK’S BIGGEST STOLEN CAR EXPORT RACKET TO UGANDA

 


A sophisticated organised crime gang responsible for what was described in court as the UK’s largest ever stolen car export operation has been convicted after police uncovered a massive international vehicle theft network worth millions of pounds.


At Luton Crown Court, gang members from London, Essex, Kent, and Bedfordshire were sentenced for their roles in a conspiracy involving luxury car thefts, robberies, burglaries, and carjackings.


The court heard the gang targeted high-value vehicles including Porsches, Mercedes, and BMWs before shipping them overseas using forged paperwork and elaborate concealment methods.


Police recovered 92 stolen vehicles worth approximately £4 million during the investigation, although detectives believed at least 200 luxury vehicles had been trafficked abroad between May 2005 and April 2006.


Most of the stolen cars were transported to Mombasa in Kenya before being moved onwards into Uganda and other parts of East Africa.


The investigation, carried out jointly by Hertfordshire Police, Essex Police, and Kent Police, uncovered a highly organised operation involving international shipping networks, false documentation, and vehicle identity fraud.


Judge Richard Foster described the conspiracy as unprecedented in both scale and sophistication.


He told the defendants that the criminal enterprise represented only the “tip of the iceberg” and warned that the profits generated through the operation had been enormous.


The gang developed a complex system for loading stolen vehicles into shipping containers before exporting them from Britain disguised as legitimate cargo.


The court heard false paperwork was used to conceal the contents of containers, often describing them as electrical goods rather than luxury vehicles.


Investigators also uncovered the involvement of an insider working within Mercedes-Benz UK.


The only female member linked to the conspiracy used her employment within the company to provide genuine vehicle paperwork and registration details that allowed stolen Mercedes cars to be “ringed” and given apparently legitimate identities.


Police said the operation relied on professional levels of coordination involving thieves, handlers, transport specialists, document forgers, and international shipping contacts.


Ringleader Abdu Gatsinzi, 37, of Brynmaer Road, south west London, was jailed for eight years.


Wycliffe Ssali, 31, of Harrowden Court, Luton, also received eight years in prison.


Martin Clark, 46, of Antlers, Canvey Island, was sentenced to seven years.


Raymond Severn, 54, of Bramble Lane, Upminster, Essex, was jailed for six-and-a-half years.


Godfrey Esimu, 34, of Farleigh Road, Stoke Newington, north London, received five years imprisonment.


Gary Lambourne, 25, of Creswick Walk, Bromley, Kent, was jailed for seven years.


Allen Kalisa, 30, of Brynmaer Road, south west London, was sentenced to two years.


Patrick Eseru, 42, of Farleigh Road, Stoke Newington, received a 15-month sentence.


Shafiq Kamuhanda, 35, of Grantham Road, east London, was jailed for three years.


Maqsood Ahmed, 36, of Springfield Drive, Ilford, received a 12-month suspended sentence.


Ton Leo, 35, of Tollgate Road, east London, also received a suspended 12-month sentence.


Colin Walter, 23, of Portree Street, Bow, east London, was ordered to complete community service and pay £1,000 in costs.


Police said the case demonstrated the increasingly global nature of organised vehicle theft operations, where luxury cars stolen in Britain could rapidly disappear overseas through international shipping routes.


Investigators also warned that violent theft methods including carjackings and aggravated burglaries were increasingly being used to obtain high-end vehicles to order for export markets abroad.


The operation became one of the most significant stolen vehicle investigations ever conducted in the UK at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment